MATERIAL RESEARCH

This is the first task of the wood studio course. In the beginning, we collect different kinds of wood board samples as many as we can. Then every one of us chose one of them and go deep with it, do any experiments we want. In the end we creat another new board with the material we chose. I selected a piece of normal chipboard.

I cut the board vertically into very thin piece. Those thin pieces were almost transparent. Under the sunshine the shades were so colorful and dreamlike.

I tried to glue those thin pieces together to create a surface. Different thin pieces created different surfaces which had different features of transparency.

I drilled the board by using different sizes of aiguilles and break the board by bending.

 
I collected those fragments of the broken part and cut the board into very small blocks. They showed totally different visual and physical features.

  
The contrast between the broken part and the unbroken part created a special visual effect.

  
I cut the board horizontally. Different layers had their own special patterns.

 
I used different ways to bend those pieces. The cracks showed some really interesting aesthetics.

 
I split the board by using different ways. The results are quite different and interesting.


In the end, I decided to cut the board into pieces and split all of those pieces to reveal the hidden beauty inside the board. 

No comments: